Jerry Geisel of businessinsurance.com is reporting that a component of the new economic stimulus packages signed into law by President Obama will allow involuntarily terminated employees to pay only 35% of the COBRA premium and the federal government will pick up the remaining 65%. The subsidies are available up to nine months, until a terminated employee is eligible for coverage from a new employer or from Medicare.This is good news for disabled individuals who are not sure how they are going to pay for medical care. It is a shame that the law apparently limits this aid to those who have been fired or otherwise “involuntarily terminated” though. Admittedly, I have not read the new law, and there may be a provision for disabled workers, so I am not offering any opinions on that at this point. For the full article, see http://www.businessinsurance.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=15772
Copyright (c) 2008 by John V. Tucker and Tucker & Ludin, P.A. All rights reserved. For assistance with your Long Term Disability claim, ERISA Disability benefit claim, Social Security Disability claim, or Veterans Disability compensation or pension claim, call Disability Lawyer John Tucker at (866) 282-5260.